Thursday, November 9, 2017

I will never stop working on myself...

Ok so it took me a few days to recover from my sugar binge.. was battling cravings for a while there and let some more sugar/crap in here and there. Jeepers it's bloody scary how my brain just latches on and craves more, more, more when I open up and allow the stuff in. I am such a bloody addict.

But anyway I have resisted because I AM NOT LETTING THAT SHIT BACK IN AND I AM NOT GOING BACK TO LIVING LOST IN A SEA OF CRAP SUBSTANCES THAT DO NOTHING GOOD FOR MY BODY OR MIND (sorry for yelling but am very determined to get on top of my demons and live with a brain free from cravings and compulsions).

And sure enough after resisting for long enough (usually about 3 days) I am once again cravings free and am able to spend my evenings thinking about what I want to think about and not just thinking about whether or not I'm going to eat sugar/floury crap.

I was describing to some non-addict friends the other day how all consuming and boring it is inside my head when I am a slave to my cravings. How I will literally spend an evening looking and acting normally but privately inside my head I am just thinking, thinking, thinking about the substance I want to get hold of. Used to be alcohol obviously (but that ship has sailed yippee!), but more lately it's definitely been the flour/sugary foods that I respond to in the same way.

I know this sounds like "first world problems" (I hate that saying), i.e. not that bad or at least like nothing 'special' because everyone has this issue given we're all waking up to the evils of sugar and processed foods. But this is my reality and this is what I am dealing with and I'm facing up to it. My eyes are WIDE open to how I operate emotionally and physically and that my brain responds very dramatically to addictive substances. And living as a woman 'in recovery' for me means not just abstaining from my No. 1 vice (booze) but also from other things that put me back in that cravings/binging/regret cycle.

Stuck, stuck, stuck.

So bugger anyone who thinks I'm whining about nothing much. For me I am at my most peaceful and calm inside myself when I am abstaining and free from cravings, and that in turn makes me the best wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend that I can be. Hence I will not stop working on myself.

Of course other things are going on, I'm a bit stressed and busy, Mr D has just flown away for a week for work.. life stuff is happening and my emotions are up and down. But in working on myself as I am I'm giving myself the best shot I can at managing life on life's terms (to use a well worn cliche), am riding the waves naturally and with a good, honest intent.. and for that I'm very proud.

Love, Mrs D xxx

5 comments:

  1. That's interesting what you say about an evening privately thinking about a substance. I do this all the time. It's wine, or if I'm off wine it's chocolate or something. The worst feeling is when I've been off both for a while and I want 'something' but I don't even know what it is. It's just a feeling for something. You are right it's tiring and annoying. Good for you for being strong, and knowing what is right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stopped coffee 3 days ago, and it's the hardest thing ever.
    I am hoping I can stick to it, but my energy is so low off of it.
    I was drinking way too much of it, and it was wrecking havoc with my digestive track! (TMI)
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I could immediately relate! My vice is not substance based - I'm co-dependent, but I also have those days where I am doing my best to look 'perfect' on the outside, but inside I'm absolutely obsessed about something I'd said or about keeping everyone happy. My cycle is obsessive thinking >>>sugary snacks>>>>obsessive thinking. I'm trying to get a grip with the obsessive thoughts but I may try abstaining from sugar and see if I can beat the cycle that way. Thanks for your post, it's made me feel not so alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mrs D,

    My name is Anuj Agarwal. I'm Founder of Feedspot.

    I would like to personally congratulate you as your blog Mrs D Is Going Without has been selected by our panelist as one of the Top 100 Housewife Blogs on the web.

    https://blog.feedspot.com/housewife_blogs/

    I personally give you a high-five and want to thank you for your contribution to this world. This is the most comprehensive list of Top 100 Housewife Blogson the internet and I’m honored to have you as part of this!

    Also, you have the honor of displaying the badge on your blog.

    Best,
    Anuj

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that kind of determination. Strong willed screw what other people think I'm doing what I do and digging it at the same time. Well done!

    ReplyDelete