Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Make mine a booze free Christmas

Heading into Christmas like HELL YEAH! We pack up the car on Friday night and catch a 3am ferry to the South Island on Saturday. Yikes, what were we thinking when we booked that back in July?! But it's ok, we'll cope. Not drinking sure makes travel easier!

Things are good in the D household. The kids are looking forward to getting away, Mr D is on holiday after a busy year at work (he travelled away every single weekend this year), and I am just pottering along doing my usual online stuff which will continue while we are away. I'm very excited because I've got a new book project to work on next year. I do love having a project on.. keeps my mind occupied and me stimulated and busy.

We relaunched Living Sober a month or so ago and that went really well. We now have a fancy new online space for our members to hang out in.. but fundamentally it's the same kind, supportive, non-judgemental site that it always was. Just a better way of displaying posts and a clearer 'call to action' for new visitors on the homepage (hopefully encouraging them to join our community)... alongside a pretty cheesy but friendly welcome video featuring moi. I published a Silly Season Survival Guide there which would be worthwhile reading if you're struggling with sobriety at the moment.

In other news I am totally on top of my food and sitting 15kg (33 pounds) lighter thanks to Bright Line Eating which I have blogged about here before. I stumbled across it a year or so ago after listening to the women who runs it - Dr Susan Peirce Thompson - speak during an online conference. She’s a recovering addict herself and listening to her was amazing because it was the first time someone totally spoke my language about food (because there’s a LOT of noise about food out there right now).

Her thing is she's all about the addictive properties of food - particularly flour and sugar - and how it impacts on your brain (dopamine receptors etc). Made total sense to me because after I got sober I developed a nasty sugar habit. It's a pretty strict programme but I’m unashamed about following it now because it honestly has changed my life. When I’m 100% sticking to my bright lines (which I don't always achieve but am right now) I am free of any obsession over food, binging, guilt etc. I just feel calm in my body and mind, it's amazing. She’s just released a free video series check it out here if you're interested (it's only going to be up for a short amount of time).

Sometimes I can't believe how things have changed for me, but at 47 years old I'm delighted to be working hard at being the best I can be.. and not just settling for being the kind of lush, mindless woman that I was before. I feel like I've only got one shot at my life, and I'm happy to be doing it as I am. Sobriety is TOTALLY worth the hard work people! So just do it! (to use a well-worn, cheesy slogan).

I mean, crap still comes along but it's easier to deal with when you're not clouding your brain with booze. Trust me on that.

Love, Mrs D xxx


19 comments:

  1. Hi Lotta. Wow! You look amazing! Congrats on the 33 pounds weight loss. I absolutely LOVE the new revamped Living Sober site and try to check in every day. On Day 322 and so very grateful to you. Thank you for all you do. Wishing you and the family a very Merry and Joyous Christmas Season! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing - have a very merry Christmas! I'm approaching one year sober (January) and ditching the booze is the best thing I ever did for myself and those who love me. Not a single thing about it that I miss, which is something I never thought possible. Congratulations on your sobriety (and weightloss too!), you are an inspiration to me. Anna xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna. Sounds like we have the same amount of sobriety time. It still amazes me too. Congratulations and Merry Christmas! x

      Delete
  3. I have also lost quite a bit of weight and learnt crucial lessons about my relationship with food through Bright Lines Eating. I got the book after reading about it in one of your previous blog posts so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am on day 2 of my journey and just stumbled across this blog...already read through your 1st 7 months sober....it's very inspiring. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on Day 2! You may feel it's not a lot, but it actually IS. Each day you "Don't give up" is a success. Keep it going...keep taking little steps...get through this day...stay busy - those are all things I tell myself DAILY. I'm Day 142 and still living ��

      Delete
  5. Hi Lotta,
    I did 4 months completely sober & was really comfortable & thrilled with it. I used my sport & a big event to spur me on, lost heaps of weight & was at my healthiest - I'm a 45 female & a swimmer. I read your book & it really resonated with me & heaps of your blogs. Then... slowly it crept back in AGAIN!! The odd glass here & there, just wine, the odd bottle, then anything will do. I used to mark off days on the calendar when I didn't drink with smiley stickers but then I'd look at it & feel guilty when they were getting less & less. I was incredibly busy & stressed at work, had some personal knocks, so I think I used it to numb me into coping, & now I feel like I'm right back where I started :-( I've lost a lot of motivation for exercise, am eating crap again & therefore putting weight back on & that's making it worse. Everything everyone says makes so much sense, I'm just worried because I know what I need to do, I just feel like I don't have as much desire & determination to do it this time round & part of me thinks if I couldn't do it then when I had all that desire & determination, then how the hell can I do it now, especially when I've backslid before. I feel like I've let my kids & myself down & I wish so much that I could control it & be content with just one glass because I know my husband would like that - disappointed in myself :-( Any words of advice for where I'm coming from would be great xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " & I wish so much that I could control it & be content with just one glass because I know my husband would like that "

      from AA quotes, The first drink gets you drunk.

      Delete
  6. I just stumbled upon your blog and it is interesting. Even I am a recovering alcoholic and it feels good to live without alcohol now. I agree with you getting rid of alcohol takes hard work and I think some strong will too. However it is really worth it. Keep up the work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does it ever get easier & will I ever feel normal or will I always be fighting a battle & making excuses about why I'm not/can't drink alcohol normally or feel guilty because I've fallen off the wagon AGAIN?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Just trying to join the community at Living Sober but keep telling me there is an error...any idea?
    Very seriously considering stopping drinking now..there was way too much booze and I'm feeling just .. disconnected, sad, scared but closer to make that big decision... thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me at admin@livingsober.org.nz and I will help you x

      Delete
  9. Hiya hope you had a great Christmas, I am on day 9 of my journey so pretty new but determined to do this. I have just finished your book and decided to start a blog after helping u so much. U have really inspired me so thank u. I hope 1 day I can be as happy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, good on you. Was wondering how u were going . I’m only on day 4.

      Delete
  10. Hey Mrs D, just wanted to tell you I picked up your book in an op shop (Mrs D is going without) while on holiday in the gold coast and found it a great read over the xmas/new year break. Although I don't have a drinking problem (I can only handle a couple of drinks at any one time) your story has given me a new appreciation of my families struggles with alchohol. My father, sister and niece are alcoholics. My sister and I are close but never speak about her drinking problem. Now after reading your book I think I understand her a bit better and hopefully when I see her next time will encourage her to read your book or go online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just read your first book in 2 days. Now I’m onto your second. I’m in tears , it’s like I wrote this book . I’m only 4 days in. I’m shit scared.

      Delete
  11. Half way through reading Mrs D Goes Without. Feeling not so alone on day 11 of not drinking. Can't shift this headache though...is this normal

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, Day 6 of my unbelievable journey.
    Thanks..!!

    ReplyDelete