Tuesday, June 10, 2014

On community and inspiration...

I actually got up this morning and instead of showering put my swimsuit on under my clothes and drove the boys to school intending to head straight to the pool to swim some lengths. Hard out swimming, swimming, swimming to get some of the nervous energy out of my body. I haven't done that for years!

But when I bloody got there the pool was closed for maintenance. Can you bloody believe it!!!!!!!!

So here I am home again and will instead do some housework with the music turned up loud.

Yes there is a part of me that is freaking out about the media that is about to come out with my book being released… and that fact that I am exposing myself so widely … but then yesterday I thought to myself that I can choose to head into this phase of my life with nerves and fear.. or I can choose to head into this phase of my life with energy and excitement.

I choose the latter…! Energy and excitement! But will take measures to help with the nerves and fear that will creep in from time-to-time. Hence the swimming that wasn't. Maybe tomorrow.

The thing is it might seem like I'm doing this all on my own.. exposing my big dark demon, sobbing on the tele as I recount my last drinking days.. showing everyone all my truths. Yes it's just me. But what people won't be able to see - and what I feel so keenly - is the massive bubble of support that I have behind me.

Because the truth is I'm not alone. I've just one member of a massive community of like-minded men and women. I've actually formed this image in my mind of me standing alone (in my pink onesie) and a ginormous hot-air balloon sized bubble floating up around me .. grey and shimmery and ghostly.. like magic.. made up of faceless but ever-present and very lovely and grounding people.

You - the online recovery community. We are all in this together. And just because I'm enough of a show-off to get my face on the tele and in a magazine doesn't mean this is all about me. This is about all of us. This is about demonstrating that so many of us ordinary, everyday people can't control the drug of alcohol... so we dig deep, do some amazing, brave hard work, take it away and live sober.

I've started making myself a little inspiration board .. have printed off some of the amazing comments that I've been getting lately and stuck them on there.. I'll keep adding to it. Because you guys are here with me and I really appreciate it. You are giving me strength.



Love, Mrs D xxx


15 comments:

  1. Are you telling the title of this amazing book and when it will be available in the US? I can't wait to read it and add it to my collection! So proud of you, Mrs. D.!
    Jenny G…..I come and go but I am back and trying hard to stay sober today and everyday from here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very courageous, Mrs. D, to let the world see you as you are. You have already inspired so many- and I think your book, etc, will be a major force for good. We all still have the 'alcoholic' image of the bum rolling in the gutter after losing his job, family, home, etc. And we also all know that isn't true. So your book will expand peoples' concepts, and get a good number thinking: Maybe I too should cut down on/stop drinking.

    Stand tall, be proud, and know that we are all with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your board, and that image of you in a pink onesie on top of your ginormous hot air balloon bubble of support is one that will keep me chuckling a while yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read your book Mrs D :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you are doing is very brave. I hope it does help some others

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! Time for us to step out of the shadow and show ourselves. Looking forward to reading your book. Hope you have a link to it soon! Trish

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love the idea of an inspiration board! Standing beside you Mrs D :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs D's book is available to pre order on Amazon - I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival! Go Mrs D!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the inspiration board and your focus on energy and excitement versus fear and dread. Those both feel really useful, further proof of how we all find inspiration and support. So grateful for this community and so excited for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swim your heart out and calm those nerves, Mrs D. Good idea. I love that inspiration board--and I even see my own words on there, which cheers me right up. I think what your'e doing is a big deal. Stories like yours, and stories that focus on recovery, not just the grotty bad drinking parts, that's what we need. I know your story helped me a lot, and I'm super grateful for that. It seems funny to say I'm proud of you for going public, but I really am. Sending you a big hug! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww I love how you get inspiration from those you inspire. What a beautiful symbiotic relationship. I'm so looking forward to your book and hope you find other ways to get that nervous energy out. You are lovely my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope this is going direct to Mrs D as her email address on Mrsdisgoingwithout is not active. The worst for me about drinking are the downs the next day and the memory loss in my ordinary life. It has been a six year battle that I want to end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ditto to above, except mine has been years and years. How oh how to take the first steps...?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanx mrs d I have been sober one day u have saved my life

    ReplyDelete
  15. what an incredible story. I have a recovering best friend who says your story has been so inspirational for her getting through the dark days. My young son is not yet ready to admit he has a problem so I have recorded your story for later viewing. You are so brave to stand up and tell the world. Although you don't know us viewers there are many who are also behind you that you have helped.

    ReplyDelete