Saturday, October 1, 2011

Aaahhhh, alcohol buzz...

I remember the first time I ever got drunk. It was at our family holiday home and I was probably 15 or 16 and it was down on the beach drinking Marque Vue.  Not sure how to spell that, we used to call it Marque Spew anyway, which is kind of ironic considering that night I did spew.  In the bath.  Marshmallows.  Must have eaten a whole packet and out they came.  Pink and white, almost whole, in the bath.  Oh charming.

There must be people in the world (with delicate constitutions?) who have an experience like that and decide never to overindulge on alcohol ever again.  Not me. That first experience didn't put me off, no sirree bob!  No delicate constitution here, I've got the stomach of an ox!  I've been pounding it and overindulging on the grog ever since. Well until about 2 months ago that is when I made this huge decision to live a sober life and be a *gasp* NON DRINKER!!!!!!!

Told my Dad this morning.  I've got the language down pat now, so can get my reasons across pretty quick.

"I've always had a taste for it but lately it's been running away on me"
and
"I've got such a dysfunctional, unhealthy relationship with alcohol"
and
"I'm not in the slightest bit interested in 1 or 2 glasses of wine, I want 4.  Or 6."

Dad was supportive, said he was proud of me.  Time is what I really need to show everyone how serious I am.   I'm sure there are some doubters.  They'll see.  I'll prove to them I mean it.

In one and a half weeks I turn 40. 

Love, Mrs D xxx

1 comment:

  1. I remember the first time I got drunk, by accident. I think I was about 4 or 5 and my older cousins, whom we were visiting in the prairies (in Canada) were having beers in the beautiful great outdoors. I picked up one of the beers and proceeded to drink it because it tasted good. A while later my cousin noticed I’d polished off most of his beer and he was coming after me. I laughed and ran and was dizzy with happiness… he caught me and threw me over his knee for a “good” old-fashioned spanking. It hurt but I was delirious with excitement and had a good buzz on so I was BULLET PROOF. I laughed even more. My first experience taught me that I loved alcohol and it softened the blow - being the emotional Pisces that I am - and the rest is history. You know, it’s the one friend I’ve always had, even though it can be my worst enemy. Well, we’re all our own worst enemies, aren’t we?

    ReplyDelete